International students who have demonstrated strong leadership commitment are invited to submit application for the Schwarzman master scholarship program in China. Every year, a new class is selected to represent the world’s next generation of leaders — high-caliber individuals with open minds and limitless potential who will serve to deepen understanding between China and the rest of the world. Do you posses what it takes to emerge as the next Schwarzman scholar? Kindly read along to submit your compelling application.
For timely updates on opportunities and application tips, join our scholars’ community on Whatsapp
Schwarzman Master Scholarship for international students in China
Inspired by the Rhodes Scholarship founded in 1902, Schwarzman masters scholarship for international students in China is designed to meet the challenges of the 21st century and beyond in an effort to promote international understanding and peace. The scholarships supports up to 200 Scholars annually from the U.S., China, and around the world for a one-year master’s in global affairs at Beijing’s Tsinghua University — ranked first in Asia as an indispensable base for China’s political, business, and technological leadership.
Scholars chosen for this highly selective program will live in Beijing for a year of study and cultural immersion — attending lectures, traveling around the region, and developing a better understanding of China. Admissions opened in the fall of 2015 with outstanding success, immediately making Schwarzman Scholars one of the world’s most selective graduate and fellowship programs.
The cohort of global leaders reflects the diversity, vibrancy and promise of the world at large. Schwarzman Scholars embrace the opportunity to understand other cultures, perspectives and positions. Candidates who are most qualified to meet the high demands of the program must exhibit excellence in the following areas:
- Leadership abilities
- Exemplary character & integrity
- Academic aptitude & intellectual ability
- Empathy & intercultural competency
- Open mindedness
- Entrepreneurial spirit
Strongly recommended for you:
- Funded Masters and PhD Positions at University of Manitoba Canada
- Excellence Scholarship in Engineering at ESILV Engineering School
- 16 Cheapest Colleges in Canada for International Students
- 26 Scholarships in USA For International Students in 2022
- 28 Fully Funded PhD Programs in Norway at University of Oslo
- Fully Funded MBA Scholarship at Stockholm School Economics Sweden
- 9 Postgraduate Scholarships in Kinesiology at US Universities in 2022
Benefits of the master scholarship for international students in China
The Schwarzman scholarship for international students in China is an all-expense paid program which include the following:
- Tuition fees,
- Room and board,
- Travel to and from Beijing at the beginning and end of the academic year,
- In-country study tours
- Required course books and supplies,
- A Lenovo laptop,
- Health insurance,
- Personal stipend.
Eligibility for the Schwarzman master scholarship in China
In addition to demonstrating extraordinary leadership skills, the ability to anticipate and act on trends and changes in their context, strong intellectual capacity, and exemplary character, candidates must meet the following criteria:
1. Must have an undergraduate degree
- Applicants who are currently enrolled in undergraduate degree programs must be on track to successfully complete all degree requirements before August 1 of their Schwarzman Scholars enrollment year. There are no requirements for a specific field of undergraduate study; all fields are welcome, but it is important for applicants, regardless of undergraduate major, to articulate how participating in Schwarzman Scholars will help develop their leadership potential within their field.
2. Must be 18-28 years of age
- Candidates must be at least 18 but not yet 29 years of age as of August 1 of their Schwarzman Scholars enrollment year (for the current selection cycle, as of August 1, 2022).
3. Must be proficient in the English language
- Applicants must demonstrate strong English skills, as all teaching will be conducted in English. If the applicant’s native language is not English, official English proficiency test scores must be submitted with the application. This requirement is waived for applicants who studied at an undergraduate institution where the primary language of instruction was English for at least two years of the applicant’s academic program. The requirement will also be waived for applicants who have studied in English for two or more years at a Master’s degree level or higher. Acceptable test options are: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT). Minimum score 600. Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT). Minimum score 100. International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Minimum score 7.
For applicants using the China Application System, refer to guidelines on the Schwarzman College Admissions page.
The following may also interest you:
- 11 Fully Funded PhD Scholarships at University of Surrey UK 2022
- Tongarewa Scholarships for International Students in New Zealand at Victoria University of Wellington
- 14 Funding Opportunities for International Students at the University of Edinburg
- Scholarships for International Students at Keele University
- UK Masters Scholarships At University of Nottingham
- 3 Countries to Study for Free in Europe as International Student
- Scholarships at University of Manchester for International Students
Application documents for the Schwarzman scholarship in China
- A current version of your resume or CV (maximum 2 pages).
- The two required essays are a Leadership Essay (750 words) and a Statement of Purpose (500 words). The essays are a critical component of the application, designed to help the selection committee understand you as an individual and get a sense of your leadership abilities/potential, as well as your writing and analytical skills.
3. Transcript/Academic Records
- You are required to scan and upload official transcripts for each degree-granting post-secondary education institution you attended.
4. Letters of Recommendation
- Recommenders should know you well and be able to speak to your intellectual abilities, personal characteristics, and leadership potential using specific examples from their direct experience working with you.
5. Video Introduction
- Provide a short video self-introduction of no more than 1 minute. Introduce yourself in any style or setting you think best conveys your interests and personality. The point of this recording is to allow the committee to hear you introduce yourself in your own voice and style.
Method of application for the Schwarzman master Scholarship in China
Application for the Schwarzman master scholarship for international students in China must be submitted via the online application portal only. Access the portal
Selection Criteria for the master scholarship for international students in China
Interested candidates participate in a rigorous and thorough selection process, designed to identify the most promising young leaders from around the world. Those selected will have demonstrated an ability to effectively understand and contribute to the program so it may evolve to suit the needs of a rapidly changing world.
Application timelines for the Schwarzman scholarship
The application timeline for the Schwarzman master scholarship for international students in China varied by region. Kindly see below to see which is applicable to you
U.S. and global applicants
- Application Now Open
- Application Deadline: Sept 20, 2022
- Selection Cycle: Oct – Nov 2022
- Program Begins: Aug 2023
Applicants with Chinese passports
- Application Now Open
- Application Deadline: May 20, 2022
- Selection Cycle: June – July 2022
- Program Begins: Aug 2023
Need further details or proof of authenticity, check out the official call here