The Saltire Scotland Government Scholarships offers international students from eligible countries to study in Scotland at a reduced fee. The scholarships offer 50 support funding scholarships for citizens from Pakistan, USA, Canada, China, India and Japan to compete for the 50 scholarships position. read the guidelines below to submit your application.
Join our community to have access to latest scholarship and study abroad information. Join Now.
Join our community of scholars for latest scholarship updates. Click here
About the Scotland Government Scholarships
Scotland’s Government (Saltire) Scholarships are an incredible opportunity to study in a country with world-leading universities and a long tradition of academic excellence. The chosen scholars are people who aspire to become influential leaders in their future careers. They have wide ranging interests outside their studies and a desire to broaden their personal and academic experience in Scotland.
Saltire Scholars will also have the opportunity to take part in a programme of activities over and above their studies, including dialogue with the academic and business community in Scotland. As one of the Scotland Government Scholarships beneficiaries, you’ll act as an ambassador not only for the Saltire Scholarships programme, but also for Scotland.
In order to apply for the Scotland Government Scholarship, candidates must have a conditional or unconditional offer of a place at a Scottish university on an eligible course. The scholarships are designed to support the promotion of Scotland as an excellent destination for academic learning and are targeted at the priority sectors of: Science, Technology, Creative industries, Healthcare and medical sciences, Renewable and clean energy.
This includes a wide range of subjects across all of Scotland’s universities and higher education institutions. The list below is intended as a guide to priority subject areas. This list is not exclusive and applications for courses in broader subject areas will be considered. Please check with your institution to see what courses are covered.
Strongly recommended for you:
- 200 Master Scholarship Positions for International Students at Tsinghua University China
- Excellence Scholarship in Engineering at ESILV Engineering School
- 28 Fully Funded PhD Programs in Norway at University of Oslo
- Fully Funded MBA Scholarship at Stockholm School Economics Sweden
- 5 Fully funded PhD Scholarships for International Students at the University of Bristol in UK
- Global Presidential Undergraduate Scholarships at University of Lynchburg USA
Examples of subject areas include:
Earth Sciences, Environment, Energy, Geology, Weather and Climate, Plants/Botany, Animals/Zoology
Software, Engineering, Bioinformatics, Information Systems, Multimedia Engineering, Computers
- Creative Industries
Communications, Media and Culture, Broadcasting, Film, Animation, Journalism, Cultural Publishing, New Media Studies, Computer Games / Computer Arts, Design, Graphic, Industrial
- Healthcare and Medical Sciences
Physical and Life Sciences, Astronomy, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Health Sciences, Biotechnology
- Clean and Renewable Energy
Sustainable Engineering, Renewable Energy, Biomass / Bio fuels, Hydro / Solar / Tidal / Wind power
Value of the Scotland Government Scholarship for international students
The scheme offers up to 50 awards, each worth £8000, towards tuition fees for any one year of full time study on a postgraduate Masters programme at any of Scotland’s higher education institutions.
Interested in applying for the Scotland Government Scholarship? Here’s the information you need on eligibility:
- Have a conditional or unconditional offer of a place at a Scottish university on an eligible course that will be delivered physically in Scotland or via distance online learning or via a combination of both.
- Be a citizen of Canada, India, Japan, USA, Pakistan or China (Hong Kong citizens are also eligible as it is a Special Administrative Region of China).
- Be able to demonstrate that they can meet the costs of living in Scotland (where this is applicable) and the remaining tuition fees.
- Not have previously studied in Scotland.
- Not have previously received a Saltire Scholarship.
- Meet the language requirements of the course.
- Complete an application form and submit it by the closing date of 31 May 2022.
Skills and Experience
Applicants must demonstrate:
- An interest in studying in Scotland and/or at a specific Scottish university.
- The aspiration to work and study in a global context and take a position of leadership in their chosen career.
- A willingness and the necessary interpersonal and communication skills required to participate in the programme of activities that accompanies the scholarships.
Saltire Scholars will be required to:
- Maintain a standard of conduct that will uphold the good reputation of the Saltire Scholarship Programme and the institution at which they study.
- Actively participate in the programme’s extra-curricular events. Scholars will participate in a welcome reception and an end of year conference. (Scholars may be excused from attending in the event of exceptional circumstances).
- Support communications activity promoting Scotland and Scottish higher education, based on their own experience. This might include:
Posting on social media about their time and experience in Scotland.
Being available for an interview (including on camera) during either the welcome or end-of-year event, granting Scottish Government and the relevant university the right to use the text and footage indefinitely.
- Agreeing that the Scottish Government can use any photographs, blogs, quotes etc in connection with your Saltire Scholarship participation for marketing purposes.
The following may also interest you:
- UK Masters Scholarships At University of Nottingham
- Scholarship for Female Student at Durham University
- 9 Postgraduate Scholarships in Kinesiology at US Universities in 2022
- Fully-Funded Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarship 2022
- 3 Countries to Study for Free in Europe as International Student
- 10 Undergraduate Scholarships for International Students at University of Waikato New Zealand
How to apply for the Scotland Government Scholarships
Interested and qualified applicants for Scotland Government Scholarship program for international students, applicants are required to take the following steps:
- Submit application for you eligible desired course of study at any participating Scottish university. You can see the list of participating higher institutions here Scotland’s higher education institutions.
- Obtain admission offer with unconditional accept letter.
- Proceed to the scholarship application portal to submit your scholarship application Apply Now
The deadline for all applications is midnight (BST) on 31 May 2022.