The Advanced Semiconductors and Systems (ADS) Lab at the Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST) is seeking qualified and self-motivated candidates to join her research team at the foremost Korean University. This affords local and international students opportunity to gain highly sought after skills for their respective career and also experience firsthand Korean culture.
Join our community of scholars for latest scholarship updates. Click here
Why Study at Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST)
The Korea Institute of Science and Technology is a multi-disciplinary research institute located in Seoul, South Korea. The institute was founded in 1966 as the first multi-disciplinary scientific research institute in Korea and has contributed significantly to the economic development of the country. In particular, during the years of accelerated growth of the country in the 1970s and 1980s the institute was of immense contribution to the growth of South Korea. It has a research staff of over 1,800 research scientists, visiting scientists, fellows and trainees, and foreign scientists involved in basic research in various fields of science and technology.
Strongly recommended for you:
- Postgraduate research scholarships at Gachon University
- Masters Scholarships in the UK
- Undergraduate Scholarships in Canada
- Mastercard Postgraduate Scholarships in South Africa
About the Research Positions in South Korea
The Advanced Semiconductor and Systems (ADS) Lab aims for advanced semiconductor devices/sensors and systems thereof. The research interests include spanned from photodiodes/photodetectors to single-photon detectors/sensors, concentrating since 2006 on CMOS-compatible avalanche photodetectors (CMOS-APDs), single-photon avalanche diodes (SPADs), and silicon photomultipliers (SiPMs), along with their applications(e.g., LiDAR (light detection and ranging), ToF (time of flight), 3D vision, biophotonics, quantum photonics, space, security, silicon photonics, optical interconnects, etc.).
The lab is currently focusing more on the research and development of high-performance SPAD/SiPM/APD detectors/sensors for next-generation applications like:
(i) LiDAR/ToF sensors/applications: ADAS (advanced driver assistance systems), eventually for autonomous vehicles, robots, drones, machine vision, industrial automation, etc. and mobile phones for 3D face/gesture recognition/tracking, depth imaging, biometric authentication, VR (virtual reality)/AR (augmented reality), etc.
(ii) Biomedical applications: TOF PET (time-of-flight positron emission tomography), SPECT (single-photon emission computed tomography), FLIM (fluorescence-lifetime imaging microscopy), super-resolution microscopy, NIRI (near-infrared imaging), PCR (polymerase-chain-reaction), ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay), etc.
(iii) Safety and security: Night vision, low-light imaging, security cameras, radiation detectors, gamma cameras, dosimeters, cargo scanner, environmental monitoring, etc.
(iv) Quantum applications: QKD (quantum key distribution), quantum communication, QRNG (quantum random number generators), quantum cryptography, quantum computing, etc.
(v) More applications wherever single-photon sensitivity and high precision time-of-arrival detection are critical.
The following may also interest you:
- Free University in Norway for International Students
- How to Win Hidden Scholarships with Cold Email
- Knight Hennessy Scholarship at Stanford University
- Practical steps to writing winning scholarship essays
Positions Available at ADS Lab in South Korea
- Graduate students (PhD, Joint MS-PhD, MS)
- Postdoc fellows with research experiences in optoelectronic devices, sensors, circuits, semiconductor process/fabrication, optics, device simulation/modeling or related fields. Strong academic backgrounds in electronic engineering, physics, photonics or other engineering fields preferred.
- Undergraduate students (Interns)
Available research positions are:
- Single-photon detectors/sensors
- Avalanche photodiodes/photodetectors, photodiodes/photodetectors
- Silicon photonics
- Optoelectronic devices
- Semiconductor devices
- Semiconductor process/fabrication
- Device simulation and modeling
- Integrated circuits
- Metrology and characterization
- Applications: e.g., mobile phones, automotives, bio-imaging, bio-photonics, quantum photonics, etc.
Eligibility for the Research Positions at ADS Lab in South Korea
The Lab is seeking for M.S., Ph.D., or Postdoctoral candidates who meet up the admission requirements of the Korea Institute of Science and Technology. Kindly see the admission requirements here.
Benefits of the Opportunity
The research opportunity at the ADS Lab will cover full tuition, living allowance among other benefits.
How to Apply for the Research Positions at ADS Lab South Korea
To apply for this opportunity, interested and qualified candidates are to send the following documents:
- Updated CV
- Research plan
The deadline for this application is not specify.
For further details, kindly visit the official announcements