Opportunity for academically talented African students to pursue a postgraduate program at the University of Pretoria in South Africa through the fully funded Mastercard Foundation Scholarship.
Join our community to have access to latest scholarship and study abroad information. Join Now.
Join our community of scholars for latest scholarship updates. Click here
About the Mastercard Postgraduate Scholarship for African Students at the UP
The University of Pretoria (UP) in partnership with the Mastercard Foundation (MCF) is currently offering scholarships for high achieving African students interested in studying at postgraduate levels, commencing in January 2022. The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) targets academically talented yet economically disadvantaged young people in Africa who will contribute to the transformation of the continent through their knowledge, skills, attitudes and values evidenced by their leadership. Community service and internships are essential components of the Program. The MCFSP offers a full scholarship to selected students who have been provisionally admitted to study towards a postgraduate degree at UP. Graduates must return to their home countries on completion of their studies and give back to their communities.
Strongly recommended for you:
- Scholarships at Stanford University
- Rhodes Scholarships in the UK
- Mastercard Undergraduate Scholarships
Eligibility for the Mastercard Postgraduate Scholarship for African Students
For your application to be considered for the Mastercard Scholarship award,
- Candidates should be citizens from Africa.
- Applicants should come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and demonstrate financial neediness.
- Candidates should demonstrate leadership potential and ought to be involved in a giving back project e.g. in a community, at school, church etc
- Academic excellence is paramount and students have to maintain a high academic average at all times.
- Write winning scholarship essay with this practical guide
- Study in Canada without IELTS
- Free University in Norway for International Students
Value of the Mastercard Postgraduate Scholarship for African Students
If your Mastercard Scholarship application is successful the Program will cover the following:
- Full tuition fees
- Accommodation in a UP residence
- Books and printed material
- A modest monthly stipend
- Medical aid
- Travel costs (one return trip for the duration of the study period)
- Cost of one visa application for the duration of the study period
How to Apply for the Mastercard Postgraduate Scholarship
Interested applicants for the Mastercard master’s scholarships at the University of Pretoria must have first secured admission to study any of the eligible master’s program at the university. To apply for admission at the university of Pretoria, follow the following steps:
Apply online at www.up.ac.za/apply. Alternatively, you can submit a hard copy of your application form. For more information, dial +27 (0)12 420 4297/6621 or send an email to:
email@example.com for undergraduates and postgraduates enquiries.
After your application has been submitted, it will be evaluated by members of the relevant faculty. The faculty will inform you whether you have been admitted.
Once you have been admitted, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to commence the process to apply for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program immediately.
Successful Mastercard Foundation Scholars should have a passport to enable them to apply for a visa promptly.
Please visit the ISD website at www.up.ac.za/isd for general information for international students.
Application Deadline for the Mastercard Postgraduate Scholarship for African Students
Applications open on 1st May and close on the 17th September of the year proceeding the year of study.
Application for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program can only be submitted after a candidate has been provisionally admitted to study at the University of Pretoria. Provisionally an admission letter will be required.
Visit the official announcement for more details.