Join our community to have access to latest scholarship and study abroad information. Join Now.
About the Honjo Scholarship for International Students in Japan
This scholarship is open to foreign students who study or plan to study in Japanese graduate school for doctoral or master’s degree. Applications can be submitted from abroad as long as an applicant is accepted to a Japanese graduate school. All nationalities and research fields are welcome. Applicants may directly apply to the foundation without pre-selection by the university.
For a timely update on opportunities and application tips, Join Our Scholars Whatsapp Community
Value of the Honjo Scholarship for International Students in Japan
The Honjo scholarship will be provided every month throughout the minimum period required to acquire the degree. The amount of scholarship depends on the differences based on the period as below:
- ¥200,000 per month for 1 ~ 2 years degree
- ¥180,000 per month for 3 years degree
- ¥150,000 per month for 4 ~ 5 years degree
Apply for the fully funded Yenching Academy fellowship in China
Eligibility for the Honjo Scholarship for International Students in Japan
To be eligible for Honjo scholarship for international students to study in Japan, the student must satisfy all of the requirement criteria shown below:
- The student who does not possess Japanese citizenship
- The student must be enrolled as of April 2023 or currently applying for the academic course starting from April 2023 at a graduate school in Japan.
Those who are already enrolled and those who are not enrolled yet (including people who are currently employed with jobs at the time of applying for the program) are both eligible to apply for this scholarship if you are going to be enrolled in April 2023.
Those who are going to enter graduate schools in Autumn 2023 should apply for the 2023 program which starts accepting applications from April 1 to April 30, 2023 (scheduled).
- In principle, the student enrolling in a professional graduate school is not eligible to apply. However, the student who can submit a research plan is eligible to apply.
- The enrolment duration until graduation must be longer than 12 months.
- To be eligible, the student applying for the PhD program must start the PhD course by the age of 35. The student applying for the master’s program must start the master course by the age of 30 (No exception).
- The student must have a strong will to serve in their home country as a future career plan.
- The student must have a deep understanding of international friendship and goodwill, and must attend the events organized by the foundation and take part in the network as an alumni member.
- The student must be able to carry an everyday conversation in Japanese. Interviews will be conducted in Japanese (No exception).
Apply for the Clarendon scholarship at the University of Oxford
How to Apply for the Honjo Scholarship for International Students in Japan
- Enter the “Online application system” and then complete all the necessary information. Upload the required documents A~ D as PDF file. Online application system
- When you have completed the application procedure, an application number will be issued. The application numbers of the successful students will be announced on our website, so please make sure to save the number you received.
From September 1, 2022 to October 31, 2022 (the “Online application system” operating period)
For more details, kindly visit the official website