About the Excellence Scholarship for International Students in the Netherlands
The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship for International Students in the Netherlands is for excellent students joining a full-time Leiden University Master’s degree programme – with the exception of LLM (non-advanced) and MSc programmes at Leiden Law School.
The scholarship is awarded to citizens of the following nationalities are:
For a timely update on opportunities and application tips, Join Our Scholars Whatsapp Community
- Non-EEA/non-EFTA nationals who are applying for a Master’s programme at Leiden University
- Students of all nationalities applying for an LLM Advanced Studies programme, or the MSC in International Relations and Diplomacy.
Programs from the following faculties are eligible for the scholarship: Archaeology, Humanities, Medicine/LUMC, Governance and Global Affairs, Law, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Science, African Studies Centre, International Institute for Asian Studies.
Value of the Excellence Scholarship for International Students in the Netherlands
The LExS University scholarship in the Netherlands is awarded for the duration of the study programme. There are three available levels of awards:
- € 10,000 of the tuition fee
- € 15,000 of the tuition fee
- Total tuition fee minus the statutory tuition fee
The LExS is not a full scholarship. Non-EEA LExS recipients must still submit ‘proof of sufficient funds’ for their student visa/residence permit application.
Eligibility for the Excellence Scholarship for International Students in the Netherlands
The eligibility criteria for the Leiden University Excellence Scholarship in the Netherlands are:
Students must have achieved excellent academic results in their previous study programme(s), which must be relevant to the Master’s program for which they are applying. As an indication, the student is amongst the top 10% of graduates in his/her previous study program. Note that proof of ranking is not required – this information is purely to indicate the level of competitiveness
Applicants must have a non-EEA/non-EFTA passport and may not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans (Studiefinanciering) – with the exceptions of students applying for the programmes listed below, for which no nationality restrictions apply:
All LLM Advanced Studies programmes
MSc in International Relations and Diplomacy
Application process for the Scholarships in the Netherlands
- Apply online for admission to a Master’s programme at Leiden University and pay the application fee if applicable.
- In the scholarship section of your online application, indicate that you wish to apply for a LExS.
- Upload your LExS motivation letter as instructed in your online application. This is a PDF file of max. 500 words, in which you explain why you would like to be considered for the award.
- Submit your online application, containing your LExS application, before the LExS application deadline.
- If you apply for more than one study programme and wish to apply for a LExS for each, indicate this clearly in each application and upload a LExS motivation letter for each.
Selection process for the Excellence Scholarship for International Students in the Netherlands
The faculty selection committees will nominate LExS recipients and inform the Scholarships Team, up to 6 weeks after the LExS deadline.
The Scholarships Team will notify all LExS applicants of the decisions:
– At the end of November – for the February intake.
– At the end of April – for the September intake.
Application Deadline for the LExS Scholarship in the Netherlands
For programmes starting in Sept, 2022 the deadline to submit application is Feb 1st
For programmes starting in February 2023, the deadline is October 1st
For more information, visit the official website