The Jamaica National Scholarship is an initiative of the Jamaica Labour Labour Party to offer merit-based scholarships for Jamaicans to study at any of the country’s local higher institutions of learning.
About the Jamaica Labour Party National Scholarship
The Jamaica Labour Party believes education is the greatest force for the positive transformation of our society. At the Party’s 75th anniversary conference in 2018, Party Leader, and Prime Minister, the Most Honourable Andrew Holness, announced plans to offer 5 national scholarships in the name of past Prime Ministers who have formed governments from the Jamaica Labour Party benches in Parliament. The scholarships are merit based and are open to all Jamaicans who are accepted or continuing their studies at accredited local tertiary institutions as designated by the scholarship committee from time to time.
For timely updates on opportunities and application tips, join our scholars’ community on Whatsapp
Benefits of the Jamaica Labour Party Scholarship
The 2022 scholarships will each value up to J$500,000 per year for a maximum of three years and will be tenable at the University of the West Indies (“UWI”), the University of Technology (“UTECH”), the Northern Caribbean University (“NCU”), the Caribbean Maritime University (CMU) or Teachers Colleges.
The National Scholarships will be applied first towards tuition fees, (inclusive of miscellaneous fees) then to learning materials and where applicable, boarding or lodging, and all other areas related to the academic pursuit, up to the limit of the scholarship award.
Eligibility for the Jamaica Labour Party Scholarship
The National Scholarships are open to Jamaican nationals who will be between the ages of 17 and 25, inclusive, as at September 1, 2022.
Applicants must either:
- have gained acceptance or are continuing their studies at UWI, UTECH, NCU, or CMU at the time of application, to study for an undergraduate degree in: AI or Digital Transformation or Data Science, Criminology or Legal Drafting, Spanish, Urban Planning, or have gained acceptance or are continuing their studies at the UWI, UTECH or NCU at the time of application, to study for a postgraduate degree in Criminology or Legal Drafting.
- Applicants who are already the recipients of a scholarship, from any entity, will not be eligible for award of these scholarships.
Do you know you can study in Norway for free even as an international student? Free education in Norway
Application Document for the Jamaica Labour Party Scholarship
To be considered for one of the National Scholarships, the application must include the following:
- Cover letter, addressed to the Jamaica Labour Party Scholarship Selection Committee, briefly introducing yourself and setting out your proposed course of study, its duration as well as your proposed university.
- CV or Resume (including contact details)
- Academic transcript from high school/transcript from tertiary institution (where applicable)
- Personal Essay/Statement of Purpose (no more than 800 words)
- Evidence of university acceptance or enrollment, as applicable
- Three (3) references, one of which should be from someone who has taught the applicant as a teacher or lecturer;
- Copy of the applicant’s birth certificate
- Two (2) passport-sized photographs.
You can also apply for Heinrich Boll Foundation Scholarship in Germany
How to Apply for the Jamaica National Scholarship
The Application Period for the National Scholarships will be from August 8, 2022, to August 26, 2022 (subject to external exam results). Late applications will not be accepted/considered.
Interested candidates for the National Scholarships are invited to submit via the Jamaica Labour Party website