Rhodes global scholarship is a prestigious award for international students to study at the University of Oxford with all expenses paid for by the scholarship.
Join our community of scholars for the latest scholarship updates. Click here
About the Scholarships
The Rhodes Scholarship is a fully funded, full time, postgraduate award which enables talented young people from around the world to study at the University of Oxford. One of the founding aims of the Scholarship was to identify young leaders from around the world who, through the pursuit of education together at Oxford, would forge bonds of mutual understanding and fellowship for the betterment of mankind. The reputation of the program as the world’s most distinguished academic scholarship rests not on the controversial life of our founder Cecil Rhodes, but on the enormous contributions our Scholars have made to the world, and the qualities sought in a Rhodes Scholar – intellectual distinction combined with concern for others, energy to lead, and a focus on public service – remain as compelling as they were over a century ago.
Applying for the Scholarship is a challenge, but it is an experience which has helped generations of young people to succeed. We encourage applications from talented students everywhere. Rhodes Scholars come to the UK for two or more years and can apply to study most full-time postgraduate courses offered by Oxford University. See other opportunities than can bring you to UK
Strongly recommended for you:
- Scholarships in Malaysia for international students
- 200 MSc. Scholarships in China
- Lists of Scholarships in Australia for International Students in 2022
- MSc. scholarships in health science at St. Gregory’s University UK
Value of the Rhodes Scholarships
- The Rhodes Scholarship covers Oxford University course fees, as well as providing an annual stipend.
- For the 2021/22 academic year, the stipend is £17,310 per annum (£1,442.50 per month) from which Scholars pay all living expenses, including accommodation. Please note – this is not sufficient to cover partners or dependents.
- The detailed Conditions of Tenure document outlines permitted combinations of degrees, and how many years of study are covered by the Scholarship, as the latter depends on course choice – for example up to three years of fees and stipend is available to Scholars who choose to undertake a DPhil (PhD) at Oxford.
- Following selection for the Scholarship, the Rhodes Trust will cover the fee required to apply to study at the University of Oxford. The Trust will cover the fee for a student visa and the associated International Health Surcharge (IHS), which enables international students to access the UK’s National Health Service. The Rhodes Trust will cover two economy class flights – to and from the UK – for the beginning and end of studies in Oxford.
- On arrival in Oxford, Scholars receive a settling in allowance and for those Scholars who transition to a second course of study in Oxford, they will again receive assistance to cover the fee for visa renewal and further application for IHS.
Eligibility for the Rhodes Scholarships
To be considered for the Rhodes Scholarship, applicant must meet the following requirements:
You may only apply to the Global Scholarships if you are not eligible to apply via any existing Rhodes constituency. If you have a strong connection to one or more Rhodes constituency but do not meet their eligibility criteria you should also consider inter-jurisdictional consideration rather than the Global Scholarship
2. Age requirement
Applicant must meet either of the below criteria:
- On 1 October 2022, you must be at least 18 and have not reached your 24th birthday (i.e. you must have been born after 1 October 1998 and on or before 1 October 2004). OR (for older candidates who completed their first undergraduate degree later than usual)
- On 1 October 2022, you must not have reached your 27th birthday (i.e. have been born after 1 October 1995) AND you have met or will meet the academic requirements for completing your first undergraduate degree on or after 1 October 2021
3. Academic requirement
As an applicant, you must have already completed or will have completed by July 2023, an undergraduate degree (normally a Bachelor’s degree) with an academic background and grade that – at a minimum – meets or exceeds the specific entry requirements of your chosen full-time course at the University of Oxford.
Given the very intense international competition for places at the University of Oxford, candidates will have a greater chance of successful admission to Oxford if they have a First Class Honours Degree or equivalent or a GPA of 3.70/4.0 or higher.
4. English language
Applicant must have a sufficiently high standard of English to meet the English language proficiency requirements (at the Higher Level listed) of the University of Oxford.
Having difficulty writing winning motivation letter for your scholarship applications, see a practical guide
How to apply for the Scholarships
To apply for the Rhodes Global Scholarship, you must obtain a letter of nomination from your university. Please note that you cannot nominate yourself. You will need to register the details of an appropriate nominator via the application form and you will only be able to submit your application once they have submitted their nomination.
Application Deadline for the Rhodes Scholarships
You must submit your application online, with all supporting documents, by 23:59 Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), September 15, 2022.
For further details, kindly visit the official announcement