Postgraduate Scholarships opportunity for citizens of Zambia, Zimbabwe and Malawi who want to pursue a master’s degree in the United Kingdom or South Africa.
Always want to be aware of the latest opportunity? Join Our Scholars Community
The Beit Trust is an independent charity organization. The organization support people and communities in Zambia, Zimbabwe and Malawi (ZZM). They have been active for over a hundred years, ever since the Trust was established by the financier and philanthropist, Alfred Beit, in 1906. Since the 1950s, they have funded regional projects in health, education, transport, social welfare and conservation. His wish that the Trust should operate “for the benefit of the people” remains our guiding principle.
The Trust now provides more than £2.5 million a year in grants to the region. In the last five years alone, they have funded hundreds of projects, including hospitals, clinics, care homes, schools and libraries. They have supported over a hundred Beit Scholars at universities in the UK and South Africa, as well as regional training for surgeons from ZZM. They remain committed to improving people’s lives in the region. In doing so, they work with and rely on trusted community partners and organisations, and the expertise and long-term experience of our teams in Zambia, Zimbabwe, Malawi and the UK.
See other scholarships opportunities for African students:
- Ashesi Mastercard Foundation Scholarship
- International students scholarships at UBC
- Eric Bleumink Scholarships in Netherlands
In 2021, the Trust awarded 18 Postgraduate Scholarships at British and South African universities, by means of generous academic partnerships with leading institutions.
Beit Trust Scholarships are for Postgraduate degrees only. They do not provide scholarships for undergraduate work and our postgraduate focus is on Master’s Degrees.
The next round of Beit Scholarships will be awarded for the academic year beginning September 2023 for universities in the UK; and January 2024 for universities in South Africa.
This application process is now open. Please read the Eligibility Requirements below before attempting to apply. The Trust will only consider applicants who are both eligible and qualified to apply.
Eligibility Requirements for the Beit Trust Postgraduate Scholarships
By Act of Parliament, the Beit Trust supports ONLY students who are nationals of Zambia, Zimbabwe or Malawi, who hold permanent residence, live there and/or intend to return to their country after their studies.
- Applicants (except medical and veterinary doctors) must be under 30 years of age on 31 December 2022. Relevant experience of work after completion of a first degree is strongly recommended and will count towards the award of a scholarship.
- Doctors and Vets must be under 35 years of age on 31 December 2022. They should have completed 18 months of internship, and a one-year, preferably rural, posting in Zambia, Zimbabwe or Malawi.
- The Trust cannot consider applications from those who have already begun a course.
- The Trust will only consider applicants with First Class/Distinction or Upper Second Class degrees (or equivalent) at undergraduate level.
What does a Beit Trust Postgraduate Scholarship Cover?
- Fees, tuition costs and related academic expenses. These are paid by the Trust direct to the Partner Universities.
- A personal allowance, index-linked in accordance with guidance from an independent authority, covering maintenance support.
- Other allowances are paid for arrival, a laptop and departure.
- Economy Class tickets are provided for the initial journey to the place of study, and on final return.
- No allowances are paid for spouses and other family members or dependents.
- The Trust will also address any expenses that may arise in 2023/24 as a result of residual Covid protocols.
Scholarships opportunities in Canada for international students: Compilation of Scholarships in Canada for International Students
Documents needed for the Postgraduate Scholarships
Please ensure you have all the documents below ready to upload electronically. Once you start the application process, you must complete it, as you will not be able to save answers and return to it later. You will, however, be able to scroll through the form before you begin to fill it in.
You will be required to upload the following documents with your application:
- A signed Medical Certificate Form from your doctor. This will need to be completed before you begin the application process below. Please download the form here: Medical Certificate Form
- A copy of your offer letter from a UK Partner University/s; or a PDF document detailing the university/s and course/s you will apply to at a South African Partner University/s.
- Degree results (incl. certificates of importance).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- A personal statement (no longer than 500 words) to explain in your own words how you think a postgraduate degree will benefit your country and its development. See Tips here
Application Deadline for the Postgraduate Scholarships
The deadline for application for a Beit Trust Scholarship for UK and South African Universities is 20 February 2023.
For more information, kindly visit the official website