In order to strengthen mutual understanding and friendship between the Chinese and people around the world and promote China’s exchange and cooperation with other countries in various fields, the Chinese government sets up scholarships for talented students and scholars to pursue higher education or conduct research in Chinese universities. The China Scholarship Council (hereinafter referred to as “CSC”), entrusted by China’s Ministry of Education, is responsible for the admission, enrollment and administration of Chinese Government Scholarship recipients.
You can also apply for Research fund for MSc in China
CSC Scholarship 2022-2023 is a fully funded scholarship for international students. This scholarship is available for undergraduate, masters and PhD studies at more than 280 Chinese Universities. The Scholarship covers accommodation, basic health insurance and monthly allowance up to 3500 Yuan.
The application process for Chinese Government Scholarship is majorly online after the candidate has applied to Chinese university of interest and send the required documents to the university along with CSC scholarship application form as the case may be.
Categories of Chinese Government Scholarships (CSC)
(I) Type A: Bilateral Program
The program accords with the cooperation and exchange agreements or consensus reached by the Chinese government and the governments and institutions of other nations. It is open to undergraduates, postgraduates, general and senior scholars.
An applicant shall file an application with the dispatching department of their home countries.
(II) Type B: University Program
The program is designed to finance the study of talented international students in China that are directly selected and recommended by designated Chinese universities. The supporting student categories are various which is subject to the requirements of each of these universities.
An applicant shall file an application with Chinese universities undertaking this program.
(III) Type C: Designated Scholarship Programs
These programs are set up in accordance with cooperation agreements between China and international organizations and institutions.
An applicant shall file an application with the international organizations and institutions concerned. Visit here for more on this
See also, Irish Government Scholarships 2022
Requirements for Chinese Government Scholarships 2022
List below are the minimum eligibility requirements for Chinese Government Scholarship:
International Student (Not being a Chinese citizen). Not be in possession of another scholarship issued by the Chinese government or any of its delegations.
Minimum Age Requirement
Undergraduate students must not be more than 25 years old,
For master’s degree age limit is 35 years
For Ph.D. degree, age limit is 40 years
Higher Secondary School Certificate or equivalent for undergraduate students,
Bachelor Degree for the masters degree
Masters degree for the doctoral degree.
Chinese Government Scholarship 2022 Benefits
Chinese Government Scholarship provide the recipient with the following benefits:
Type A (The Bilateral program): CSC Scholarship covers registration fees, accommodation (in a university residence in a shared room with another person), basic medical insurance and a monthly allowance for personal expenses (between 2,500 and 3,500 Yuan per month, approximately 350 and 500 USD respectively).
Type B (The University program): CSC Scholarship covers the same as the Type A scholarship, except for the monthly allowance for personal expenses.
Type C (The designated program): CSC Scholarship is another type of partial scholarship with little benefits.
The application period for CSC Scholarship is generally from January to April of each year. Some authorized agencies or universities have different deadlines. You should check the deadline of universities of your choice.
How to apply for Chinese Government Scholarships 2022?
Below is detailed step by step process of applying to Chinese Government Scholarship.
- First decide your universities and course of interest at Select the Chinese University and Course here . Note, you can apply for maximum of three universities.
- Check whether you meet the eligibility for that particular course of interest
- Find a supervisor and get acceptance letter.
- Submit your application
- Then proceed to the CSC application portal at first be completed online(in English or Chinese) to apply for the scholarship. Note that you are expected to input the three universities you have applied to and upload the necessary documents.
At the beginning of the online application form, you will be asked to choose the type of scholarship according to its funding (A, B or C) and the number of authorized agency or university (a code that you will find on the internet or that will be provided by the university, you have selected).
Once you have completed all the information in the online application for Chinese Government Scholarship, you must attach the required documents in PDF format.
After submission of your online Chinese Government Scholarship application, download this application.
The results will be made public on the same page of the application as of mid-July. From that moment, the entities begin to distribute by post the necessary documentation to process the study visa in the country of origin of the candidates.
Required Documents for Chinese Government Scholarships 2022
Completed application form: You will find it after registering on the official page of the Chinese government scholarships.
(1) Notary attested highest degree and transcript.
(2) Official medical form or Foreigner Physical Examination Form. You must attach a copy of this form filled out by a doctor. Make sure the form is signed by the doctor and that it has an official seal of the hospital or medical center where you do it. At least one stamp must be stamped on top of the previously attached card photograph. Forms older than 6 months from the date of application are not accepted.
(3) CV written in English or Chinese: You can attach a document that contains information about your specialty and your academic interests, or fill it out directly in the corresponding section of the application form (the space is quite short, I recommend that you attach this information in an attached document).
(4) Two letters of recommendation written in English or in Chinese from your last university professors.
(5) TOEFL or IELTS Diploma if you are going to study in English and you are not native of an English-speaking country: The minimum scores of both diplomas are specified by each university for each type of course. If you don’t have IELTS certificate, you can also provide a simple certificate stating that your last degree was taught in English language. It is called English proficiency certificate.
(6) Study Plan / Research Proposal.
(7) Passport Copy.
(8) Although it is NOT an essential requirement to apply for this scholarship, if you have an HSK diploma (level of Chinese) you must attach it. The Chinese government plans to finance up to two years of Chinese-language university studies so that you reach the level of Chinese required by the program you have chosen. However, if you already have a degree, your training will be a lower economic expense, so increases your chances of obtaining the scholarship. This logic does not apply to courses which are taught in English, since enrollment rates in these courses are twice as large as those taught in Chinese.
(9) Another important but not essential requirement is acceptance letter issued by professors of a Chinese university where you want to take admission. Some universities prefer applicants having acceptance letter and some universities have no requirement of acceptance letter but if you have acceptance letter it is good symbol for you. If you are applying for university having limited quota of seats then also try for acceptance letter, you will be preferred. If you are applying for high ranked university/universities then you must try for acceptance letter, you will be preferred. Start Emailing in October to Professors for Acceptance Letter. Search professors profile related to your field of your desired university and send them emails and please don’t copy email from others make it your own.
Tips: How to find faculty of your desired university? Just go to google.com and write the University name for example Zhejiang University Faculty of Biochemistry or Life Sciences. You will see the faculty list. Email to the Professor, if he or she is not replying, don’t start shelling emails because they might be busy or they don’t need any new student.
(10) Another important but not essential requirement is pre-admission letter from the destination university. This letter is issued by the university that you are wanted as a student. However, it is not easy to achieve, unless you have studied at that university and they know you by your merits. The advantage of having it is that it increases the chances of being awarded the scholarship for that university. If you do not have one, you may be sent to another university of your priority (during the application process, you have the possibility to select three universities in order of preference) or, in the worst case, to any one they choose.
(11) Other documents: If you have research publications or any other distinction, you must attach them.
(12) If any particular Chinese University requires an application screening or an application process fee then submit it. Print its receipt and attach it to the two sets of your documents listed above
Note: It is advised to choose a reliable courier service to send your CSC scholarship application documents directly to the address of that Chinese University so that they reach in time.