The Women In Defense (WID) MBA Scholarship is a prestigious opportunity that aims to empower and support women pursuing an MBA degree in the field of defense and national security. This scholarship program recognizes the invaluable contributions of women in these male-dominated industries and strives to promote gender diversity and leadership in defense-related fields. With a strong commitment to fostering the professional growth and development of women, the WID MBA Scholarship offers financial assistance and mentorship to exceptional women who aspire to excel in their careers and make a lasting impact in defense and national security. Through this scholarship, women have the chance to gain the knowledge, skills, and network necessary to break barriers, shatter glass ceilings, and shape the future of the defense industry.
Join our community to have access to latest scholarship and study abroad information. Join Now.
Read also: Best School Psychology Programs In 2023
About the Women In Defense MBA Scholarship
Through the Women in Defense (WID) Scholar program, Women In Defense encourages women to pursue careers supporting U.S. national security with a focus on defense or foreign policy.
Since its establishment in 1988, the WID Scholar program, previously HORIZONS, has awarded more than $1,000,000 to more than 200 recipients pursuing degrees ranging from law to engineering to math to public policy. Awards are based on academic achievement, participation in defense and national security activities, the field of study, work experience, statements of interest, recommendations, and financial need. Recipients must report periodically on the impact of the awards on their personal and professional lives.
The National Defense Industrial Association, Women In Defense, and their sponsors are proud to invest in high-performing women to increase diversity and innovation in government, academia, and the defense industrial workforce.
Eligibility Requirements for Women In Defense Scholarships
All applicants must meet all of the following criteria. WIW will not consider any exceptions.
- Be a woman currently enrolled or expected to be enrolled in an accredited university or college by the fall of 2023 academic term.
- Undergraduate and graduate students are eligible; undergraduates must have attained at least junior-level status by the fall of 2023 semester.
- Demonstrate interest in pursuing a career related to national security or defense.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Have a minimum grade point average of 3.25.
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Recipients of past awards may apply. Employees of NDIA and its affiliates, and their families, are ineligible for this scholarship program.
Application Requirements Women In Defense MBA Scholarships
Once the online application portal opens, applicants will be asked to provide the following:
- Proof of United States Citizenship
- Copy of all college transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation (one letter must be from a faculty member at your current college/university)
- A 500-word essay
Awardee Requirements for the Women In Defense MBA Scholarships
Awardees must agree to the requirements below. Any exception will not be considered.
- Allow WID to use their names, areas of study, and educational institution in public affairs releases
- Attend a WID scholar Celebration event June 13-14, 2022, in the National Capital Region. WID will pay travel expenses. Awardees will speak about their academic experiences, network with other awardees, and engage with men and women working in defense and national security.
- Upon notification of selection, awardees must provide a headshot and logo for the school where WID will send the scholarship funding.
- No later than July 1, 2023, provide financial aid office contact and information so WID can disperse the scholarship funding
Allow WID to share applicant information with Sponsors and Strategic Partners.
Fields of Study for the Women in Defense Scholarship
The focus of the scholarship is on the following preferred fields of study: security studies, military history, government relations, engineering, computer science, cyber security, physics, mathematics, business (as it relates to national security or defense), law (as it relates to national security or defense), international relations, political science, policy and diplomacy, intelligence and economics. Others will be considered if the applicant can successfully demonstrate relevance to a career in the areas of national security or defense.
Selection Criteria for the Women in Defense MBA Scholarship
Awards will be based on academic achievement, participation in defense and national security activities, field of study, work experience, statements of objectives, recommendations, and financial need. Essays will be evaluated using the Essay Rubric. Awards are made without regard to race, creed, color, or religion. Women In Defense reserves the right to revise, suspend or discontinue this program without notice.
Paying It Forward
Awardees must show the impact their WID Scholarships have had on their lives. They may be asked to speak about their scholarships and their impact at WID and NDIA events. They may be asked to write a short paragraph or two about their scholarships and their impact for WID publications. Awardees must participate in closed group discussions providing links to published work and sharing career updates.
For more details, visit the official website