Join our community to have access to latest scholarship and study abroad information. Join Now.
About the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Research Scholarship
The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme is unique in the Irish research landscape and complements other channels for funded postgraduate education in the Irish ecosystem. Among its features are:
- individual, prestigious awards for excellent research in the name of the applicant;
- an objective selection process using international, independent expert peer review;
- funding across all disciplines, from archaeology to zoology; and
- awards for bottom-up, non-directed research, with the exception of those funded by our strategic funding partners.
For timely updates on opportunities and application tips, join our scholars’ community on Whatsapp
“Research scholarship” “postgraduate scholarship” “Study in Ireland”
Pioneering proposals addressing new and emerging fields of research or those introducing creative, innovative approaches are welcomed. Proposals of an interdisciplinary nature are also encouraged as it is recognized that advancing fundamental understanding is achieved by integrating information, techniques, tools and perspectives from two or more disciplines. The Postgraduate Research Scholarship Programme is highly competitive, with an average success rate of 18% over the past five years. Successful awardees under the program are recognized as demonstrating world-class potential as future research leaders.
Apply for the Fully funded Hong Kong Research Fellowship
Eligibility for the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Research Scholarship
Potential applicants should carefully ascertain whether they are eligible in advance of applying to either program. All applicants will be required to complete and pass an eligibility quiz on the online application system prior to accessing an application form. Further information outlining what would deem an application ineligible is contained in the official call.
- There is no age limit for applicants to be eligible for either program type.
- All applicants must be affiliated with an eligible Irish higher education institution or research-performing organization.
- Applications will only be accepted in either Irish or English language.
- Applicants must not have had two previous unsuccessful applications to the relevant program, including to strategic partner themes. This applies regardless of whether the applicant has changed their host institution or research topic since a previous submission.
- The Irish Research Council is not in a position to award funding for research activity under any of the following prohibited areas: human cloning for reproductive purposes; genetic modification of human beings that could make such changes heritable (with the exception of research relating to cancer treatment of the gonads, which may be funded); or creation of human embryos solely for the purpose of research or for the purpose of stem cell procurement, including by means of somatic cell nuclear transfer.
Apply for the Swiss Excellent Scholarship Award
Value of the Research Scholarship
The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship program will be awarded to successful candidates in the following:
- a stipend of €18,500 per annum;
- a contribution to fees, including non-EU fees, up to a maximum of €5,750 per annum; and
- eligible direct research expenses of €3,250 per annum.
This Graduate Assistantship at the University of South Dakota USA may interest you
How to Apply for the Government of Ireland Research Scholarship
Prior to submitting your application for the Research Scholarship, applicants are expected to first get a research supervisor from any of the partnered Irish higher institutions. Thereafter proceed to the online application system. Online system
See these 11 MBA Scholarships in Canada
The schedule of activities are stated below:
- Call open for the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Research Scholarship 16:00 (Irish time) 8 September 2022
- FAQ deadline for the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Research Scholarship 16:00 (Irish time) 13 October 2022
- Applicant deadline for the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Research Scholarship 16:00 (Irish time) 20 October 2022
- Supervisor deadline for the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Research Scholarship 16:00 (Irish time) 27 October 2022
- Research office endorsement deadline 16:00 (Irish time) 3 November 2022
- Call outcome End of March 2023
- Award start date 1 September 2023
For further details, kindly visit the official website